Recent headlines and announcements have been filled with positive news about jobs both here and nationally. Along with some positive employment figures, news about job openings in Austin lead us to believe that the local economy is remaining strong and leading us out of the recession.
Here is some of the most significant information regarding the overall employment picture:
- Initial jobless claims in the U.S. dropped by 16,000 in the week ending September 25 to 453,000, beating consensus estimates and providing some hope for our slow-moving economic recovery. Equally as important, the 4-week moving average also dropped which is considered a less-volitile measure of the employment picture. The number of people claiming continuing jobless benefits also decreased. All of these factors are seen as good news.
- The W Austin Hotel started the hiring process for 300 jobs in the soon-to-open luxury facility including positions in accounting, security, front desk, and food service. The 250+ room hotel building will also be completing the first of the proposed nearly 160 condominium units. The building is scheduled to become the new home for the Austin City Limits TV studio when it is completed in early 2011. For details about the open positions, please call 512.542.3680.
- Progressive Insurance is planning to hire up to 175 new employees in the Austin area to assist in processing customer claims and increase sales. General customer service positions will also be filled at their existing call center on Ben White Blvd. The company already employs over 900 employees at their existing facility, with the newly announced positions pushing the total over 1000. Hiring is scheduled to be completed by the end of January 2011. Go to jobs.progressive.com for more information and to research their current openings.
- Red Hat, a company that provides software for Linux systems, is reportedly looking to relocate their headquarters from Raleigh, North Carolina and Austin is on the short list of potential destinations, along with Atlanta. The company currently employs over 600 people in their Raleigh headquarters, but it is unknown at this time how many of those jobs might be moved to Austin should they decide to move their headquarters here. Austin already has one Red Hat office and one of the attractive features is the availability of top-quality university graduates. The company is reportedly waiting to review an incentive package from the City of Raleigh before making a final decision. Those discussions are expected to occur within the next 30 days.
- Mission Mortgage is hiring! Our recent successes have allowed us the ability to expand our employment numbers here at Mission Mortgage. Currently we have openings for experienced Loan Officers, Senior Underwriters, Loan Processors, and a Production Sales Manager. If you have mortgage industry experience, we want to speak with you about a possible future with our company. We are a locally-owned and operated full-service mortgage banker with in-house processing, underwriting, and funding. We are growing and we’re looking for quality people to help us to succeed. See the career section of our website for more details.